Get your School Involved
If you are considering a change to your existing program or would like to implement a new instrumental program, I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and discuss further. We can tailor a program to suit the needs of your school.
St Louis Primary
St Marks Primary
St Peters Primary
Tucker Road Primary
St Annes Primary
What Makes Kids On Key Different From Other Music Programs?
- ,Kids on Key is a locally based teaching business where the director Cath Dowling makes it a priority to personally teach at each of the schools where Kids on Key operates. This ensures good communication between the school, parents and teachers
- Enrolment numbers continue to grow each year. We started out with 20 enrolments are now have well over 250 students enrolled in the program at 6 local schools: St Peter’s – East Bentleigh, St Louis – Aspendale, St. Anne’s – Seaford, Tucker Rd Primary, Resurrection Primary Keysborough and St Mark’s – Dingley.
- Kids on Key employs a small number of committed and talented teachers who together can offer a broad range of tuition options. We also have easy access to instrument rental agencies as well.
- Our aim is not to get too big. We only want to extend to 1 or 2 more schools so that we keep things manageable and Cath is still able to teach at each of the schools.
- Due to the small size of the business, there are not a lot of overheads and staff are paid at a good rate which encourages them to stay for the long term.
Other advantages of Kids on Key:
- We offer a 10% discount for siblings
- Due to the great success of online lessons during COVID we now offer online after school hours lessons in addition to face to face lessons
- We are willing to provide assistance to school fund raising projects by way of lesson vouchers for silent auctions, raffles etc
- Kids on Key has current public liability insurance which covers injury to students, damage to school property and Kids on Keys musical equipment to the value of $20,000,000
- Kids on Key provides all employees with WorkCover Insurance which covers personal injury to music teachers whilst on school premises
- Kids on Key keeps an up to date personalised Health and Safety Manual and provides ongoing training to all music staff in this area
- Kids on Key policies and procedures are also in line with the new Child Safety Guidelines recently brought into schools
- We are able to provide a broad range of instrument tuition options and will liaise with the school to determine which instruments the school would like to offer to students
- We also offer a very unique and successful program called Beginner ABC which runs over 2 terms and give students an opportunity to try a variety of instruments
- We are happy to provide parents with advice on purchasing/renting instruments and have a link on our website for instrument rental options
- Kids on Key offers small group tuition with a maximum of 4 students. Duo and private lessons are also available on selected instruments
- There is opportunity for students to prepare for and sit for official music exams through the AMEB and ANZCA syllabus
- We are also very happy to run weekly band sessions, small instrumental ensembles and arrange periodic performances throughout the school year
- Kids on Key will take responsibility for the total administration of the music program, and will ensure there is good and regular communication between the school, parents and music teachers
After one year of keyboard, we were pleasantly surprised how well Christy performed as part of a group in a lovely end of year concert. Christy found further motivation when I finally made time to squeeze in a few private lessons so that she could measure her progress by completing exams. The group and private lessons provide complementary outcomes, by creating a musician who wants to improve and who can play as part of a group. Cath has a caring approach, and there is no pressure to take on private lessons.
My daughter has been attending Kids on Key through our school for the last 4 years. In this time she has developed a love of music and fostered a wonderful relationship with her music teacher. Kids on Key has provided my daughter with a positive, fun and challenging music program. My daughter is excited to be partaking in her next ANZCA exam for piano this year and I am positive that her love of music and piano is because of the fantastic environment provided by Kids on Key.
My children have been learning keyboard for about 4 years with Kids on Key. I think it is a fantastic program, especially as these classes can be done around school times. My children have learned to read music as well as learn keyboard, both of which I truly believe helps to expand our children’s mind for many other areas of their life, similar to the benefits of learning another language, and Susan is just a wonderful teacher. The opportunity to further the education with exams and grading is there for the students that wish to pursue their instruments further.
My daughter has really enjoyed her Zoom guitar lessons during ISO. The audio is great at both ends, the teacher can see everything she’s doing with her hands and she is very engaged. On the technical side, I'm amazed how seamless the process is and how well it all works.
Catherine Green – St Peter’s
During the COVID lockdown, music lessons went online and I was a bit apprehensive about how it would work. After we sorted all the technical stuff, I was really surprised by how much Nate engaged in the lessons. He told me after a month or so that he really enjoys having the lessons online and that he finds it easier to focus and learn. The way Cath sets it up works really well in terms of seeing the keyboard and taking turns in playing and listening. Nate's been more motivated than ever to practice and engage in the end of term concert. He's thinking about continuing online lessons when school returns, so he doesn't miss out on school time.
Gwyneth Rees - Tucker Rd Primary
The online music lessons offered by Kids on Key have been fabulous. The sessions were scheduled around our existing commitments, were well structured and tailored to suit the needs of my son. It was easier for my son to focus, without any external disruptions, and he made good progress during this time. I will certainly be considering online lessons for the future.
Lorraine Theodore – Resurrection Primary